Nassau County has rules concerning lawn sprinkling and hose use. There is a water conservation program is in effect 365 days a year. Please learn these simple rules, which will be strictly enforced, and follow them. Conserving our water benefits everyone.
During the summer months, sprinkler systems account for the largest amount of water consumption. Often customers’ water bills are double or triple due to the increased water usage during this time of year. The amount of water that homeowners use to keep their lawns green and gardens lush increases significantly during the summer months and a little knowledge about proper irrigation and water conservation can mean money back in your pocket. See the chart of Plainview Water District’s average water pumpage per month.
Commissioner Field advises that according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), there are simple things you can do promote a healthier lawn and garden with less water this summer. For example:
- All water sprinkling for lawns, gardens and shrubbery is prohibited between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Houses with even-numbered street addresses may water on even-numbered calendar days during the prescribed hours (from midnight to 10:00 a.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to midnight).
- Houses with odd-numbered street addresses may water on odd-numbered calendar days during the prescribed hours (from midnight to 10:00 a.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to midnight).
- Houses with no street numbers may water on even numbered calendar days during the prescribed hours (from midnight to 10:00 a.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to midnight).
- Hire a reputable lawn irrigation company to make sure your lawn is properly irrigated and watered.
- Rain sensors are required on every lawn irrigation system. Make sure they are installed on your system.
- Test your lawn irrigation system’s watering distance so that water is not hitting your house, going into the street or beyond your property and lawn.
- A backflow prevention device is required, needs to be installed by a professional licensed plumber and must be tested annually.
- All hoses for exterior water use must be fitted with a hand-operated automatic-off nozzle valve.
- The hosing of driveways, sidewalks, or streets is prohibited.