Locating Your Meter
- Your meter is generally located in one of several locations:
- In the basement of your home
- Near other utilities such as the furnace or water heater
- Near the curb in front of your home (in a meter vault)
- On your front lawn (in a meter vault)
Reading Your Meter
- If your meter is located in a locked vault, DO NOT attempt to open it yourself. Call (516) 931-6469 to arrange to have a meter reading.
- If your meter is not locked, follow the steps below:
- Check your meter and write down the numbers. When reading your meter, include all the numbers on the meter, including all zeros. See “A” in the picture.
- Save the numbers for the next time you check your meter.
- When you check your meter again, repeat the process described above and subtract the new number from the previous number.
- This number is the amount of water used in gallons.