Locating Your Meter
- Your meter is generally located in one of several locations:
- In the basement of your home
- Near other utilities such as the furnace or water heater
- Near the curb in front of your home (in a meter pit)
- On your front lawn (in a meter pit)
Important Note: If you have a manhole on your front lawn it is likely that your meter is located inside a pit. Customers are urged not to try and open the pit cover. It is most likely locked and should only be opened by a District employee. If you have this type of arrangement please call the District at (516)931-6469. We will be more than happy to access and read your meter.
Reading Your Meter:
- If your meter is not in a locked pit, follow the steps below:
- Check your meter and write down the numbers. When reading your meter, include all the numbers on the meter, including all zeros. See “A” in the picture.
- Save the numbers for the next time you check your meter.
- When you check your meter again, repeat the process described above and subtract the new number from the previous number.
- This number is the amount of water used in gallons.